Oficial Web Site of Alava Tourism

Alava with heart and soul

Localizacion de Alava

Home > Vestiges of the Past > Salinas de Añana and "Salt Valley"
Salinas de Añana and

Salinas de Añana and "Salt Valley"

INFORMATION
Provincial Council of Alava.
Tel. 945 35 11 11
www.alavaturismo.com

Valdegovía Tourist Office
Arquitecto Jesús Guinea, 46
01426 Villanueva de Valdegovía
Tel. 945 35 30 40
www.valdegovia.com


Añana Region
Plaza de los Fueros, 11
01213 Rivabellosa
Tel. 945 35 50 89
www.cuadrillanana.es

http://www.cuadrilladeanana.es

The name of Salinas de Añana is inextricably linked to the history of salt. Its saline springs were documented as early as the year 822, just before the occupation of this area by the Moors. But it was in the Middle Ages, after the town of Salinas de Añana was founded in 1140 (which makes this the oldest town in Alava), when its salt production made Salinas de Añana one of the most prosperous towns in the North of the Iberian Peninsula. In addition to its salt pans, you can visit the Convent of Commanders of San Juan de Acre, the church of Santa María de Villacones, the Mansion of the Ozpinas family and the Mansion of the Herrán family.

Salt Valleyis now the subject of an ambitious master plan, which seeks to restore its original landscaping and operation. As a result of the plan, a guided visit service has been set up.